Prayer: O Jesus, hold me tight. Never let me go.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching the crowds.)
Context: In the debate with Jesus, the crowd talks about the great sign of manna. In the desert, God promised Moses that he would send “bread from heaven” (Ex. 16:4). Jesus explains that the manna came from his Father.
Gospel text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to them, “Amen, Amen, I say to you, Moses did not give you bread from heaven. My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. The bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. They said to him, “Lord, give us this bread always”. Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall not hunger. He who believes in me shall never thirst.
But I told you that although you have seen me, you do not believe. All that the Father gives me shall come to me, and whoever comes to me, I will not cast out. I came down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.
This is the Father’s will. That I should lose nothing but raise it up again on the last day.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- In the desert, the Father gave earthly food which sustained human life for a short time.
- Now, the Father will give his Son, (the Word made Flesh), which sustains us forever.
- Although the crowd asks for this heavenly bread, they do not understand the gift.
- First they must believe in Jesus and come to him.
- To whomever comes, Jesus gives everlasting life. This is the Father’s plan.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you provide for every need.
- Father, I hunger for the true bread.
- Father, your greatest gift is your only-begotten Son.
- Jesus, you are the bread of life. I seek nothing else.
- O Jesus, I believe that you hold me in your hands.
- Call me and I will come. Keep me and I will never wander.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will not delay any longer. This day, I will come to Jesus.
- I will let him hold me. I will not walk away from his grasp.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
“I will lose nothing but will raise him up on the last day.”