O Jesus, make me aware of your presence.
Picture Jesus standing on the shore at the Sea of Galilee.
Because Jesus promised to appear to his disciples in Galilee, the apostles return there and resume fishing. In John’s gospel, this is the third recorded vision to these disciples.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Peter is the leader. The other seven are blessed by going with him. The beloved disciple is a witness to this event.
- Their fishing experience and skill profit nothing. The nets are empty.
- Although they do not recognize this mysterious figure, they obey his words.
- The miracle reveals to the beloved disciple that “it is the Lord.”
- Peter believes his words and plunges into the sea.
- The others arrive in a more conventional way. Yet, all experience Jesus’ presence.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, keep me united with Peter and the Church. This is how I will be blessed.
- Make me of one mind and heart with other disciples who love you.
- Speak to me, Lord, and I will obey your word.
- Give me the beloved disciple’s sensitive faith, who first realizes that it is you.
- May I see your loving hand in all my blessings.
- May I always come to you, whether exuberantly (like Peter) or more calmly (like the others).
- Fill me with your presence.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will try to be united with others who search for Jesus.
+ I will ask to experience Jesus’ presence.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
“Have you caught anything to eat? Throw your nets to the right side.”