Prayer: Come Holy Spirit. Help me to prepare to increase my life in Jesus.
Imagination: (Picture yourself at the Jordan with John.)
Luke has told the stories of Jesus infancy, ending with Jesus being lost in the temple. The next 18 years are Jesus’ hidden life. Now the drama opens and John the Baptist is the first actor on the scene.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus and his disciples went into the region of Judea, where he spent some time with them baptizing. John was also baptizing near Salim, because there was an abundance of water there, and people came to be baptized. Now a dispute arose between the disciples of John about ceremonial washings. So they came to John and said, “Rabbi, the one who was with you across the Jordan, to whom you testified, here he is baptizing and everyone is coming to him.” John answered and said, “No one can receive anything except what has been given him from heaven. You yourselves can testify that I said that I am not the Messiah, but that I was sent before him. The one who has the bride is the bridegroom, the best man, who stands and listens to him; rejoices greatly at the bridegroom’s voice. So this joy of mine has been made complete. He must increase, I must decrease.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. Caesar and Pilate have political power, but John has the power of God.
2. The “word came to John”. The Kingdom was coming and a religious revival was about to happen.
3. The people sensed this movement of God’s Spirit, and made their journey to the Jordan.
4. They repented of their sins and sought John’s Baptism.
5. Prepared by their Jewish culture, they understood that John was the messenger, preparing the way for the Messiah.
6. John’s clothing and food were signs of repentance, so the people quickly believed his preaching.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. Let your word come to me, O Lord.
2. You have a timetable, a moment prepared for my conversion.
3. Where do you dwell, O Lord? Where can I find you?
4. Where do you stir? Where is your Spirit moving?
5. I will seek you in daily Eucharist. Your Spirit dwells there.
6. You have promised to come. I will wait for you.
7. Jesus, I will seek forgiveness for my sins, and be ready for your coming.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will find personal solitude where I can hear God’s word.
2. I will repent of my sins and make a good confession. That is the right place to begin, Advent.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation) Prepare ye the way of the Lord. Make straight his paths.