The Cross and Hospitality (Mt 10:37-42)
Come, O Jesus, help me to find true life.
Picture Jesus explaining to his disciples what is required of them.
Matthew, Mark and Luke all record this saying of Jesus that a disciple must “take up his cross.” Obviously, these important words are an excellent summary of being a disciple. The second part of this text turns to the daily duty of kindness and hospitality
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Whoever does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever saves his life, will lose it. Whoever loses his life for me shall find it.
Whoever receives you, receives me. Whoever receives me, receives him who sent me. Whoever receives a prophet in the name of a prophet, shall receive a prophet’s reward. Whoever receives a holy man because he is a holy man, shall receive a holy man’s reward.
And I promise you that whoever gives a cup of cold water to one of these lowly ones because he is a disciple, shall not lose his reward.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus has warned his followers that becoming disciples can cause family problems. Now he goes further. Proclaiming the gospel, might cost them their very lives.
- The disciples face a gigantic dilemma. If they deny the gospel to save their physical life, they will lose Jesus.
- However, if they surrender their physical life, they will gain Jesus.
- Those who hear the gospel also face a gigantic decision. To receive Jesus, they must help the preacher do his task.
- Those preaching the gospel need material assistance and anyone who helps them, shares in their reward.
- The disciple is rewarded because he sees by faith that the holy man is important to the Church.
- The “cup of cold water” means good example and solid teachings. A “little one” is a new convert, who needs support to persevere in his decision.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, even if others misunderstand me, I still want to be your disciple.
- Having you forever! What else can I seek? What price is too great?
- O Jesus, let me accept those whom you send to me, the pastors, evangelists, and missionaries.
- I will help all who serve you and gain an equal reward.
- O Jesus, how precious are the new believers. I will help them to persevere.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will proclaim the gospel today.
+ I will be supportive of others who work for the gospel.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Whoever loses his life for me, will save it.