Come Holy Spirit. Set me free from the Kingdom of Darkness.
Picture Jesus in a synagogue setting the man free from the unclean spirit.
Mark groups his stories by geography. The next few stories take place at Capernaum, and provide a quick overview of Jesus’ activities. Jesus’ ministry begins in the Jewish culture and in their place of religious worship – the synagogue.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
Thoughts: ( Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you).
- The man had attended the synagogue for years, but the synagogue had no power over his unclean spirit.
- When Jesus enters, the demon can no longer stay hidden.
- The demon faces a powerful new enemy and realizes that Jesus has come to destroy him.
- The demons know well that Jesus is “the Holy One” come from the Father.
- Jesus acts quickly so the unclean spirit can do little harm.
- This was never heard of before. The people have never seen such power. The word about Jesus spreads quickly.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, how many hidden forces come against me?
- Without you, O Lord, these forces would control my life and I would be in complete darkness.
- Jesus, you are the demons’ powerful enemy. To me, you are a mighty friend.
- Cast out from me any powers of darkness that dwell within me.
- Come to my synagogue, O Jesus – to my heart which needs your cleansing.
- Never have I seen such power as yours, and you always use it for my benefit.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ Does the demon have any power over me? I will examine my conscience.
+ If involved in occult practices, I will confess them and seek total freedom.