The Transfiguration of the Lord (Mt 17:1-9)
Jesus, take me up the mountain of prayer.
Picture Jesus in glory with his three apostles.
Peter has just proclaimed by faith that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God. Now, he and two others experience this truth as they see Jesus in glory. Immediately, Jesus speaks of his death on the cross where these same apostles will have great difficulty in seeing him as the Messiah.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus took Peter, James, and his brother John up a high mountain by themselves. He was transfigured before them. His face shone as the sun and his garments became white as snow. Suddenly, Moses and Elijah appeared and were talking with him. Peter said to Jesus, “It is good for us to be here. If you will, let us build three tents, one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.
As he was speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them. A voice out of the cloud said, “This is my Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased. Listen to him.” The disciples fell on their face and were filled with fear. Jesus came, touched them and said, “Get up and do not fear.” Lifting up their eyes they saw no one, only Jesus.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The mountain is the perfect place for prayer, far away from worldly distractions.
- What a privilege, to have Jesus lead you away so you can be with him.
- The vision has a fullness. Even Jesus’ garments become like snow.
- Moses and Elijah appear with Jesus who is the central figure.
- Peter is right. It is very good to enjoy Jesus’ presence and see his glory.
- There is more to come. The heavenly Father takes control.
- The Father makes it clear that Jesus is his beloved son and we must listen.
- The experience overwhelms the apostles and they are unable to stand. Experiencing God will do that to you.
- When all is complete, they see only Jesus. They are changed forever.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, take me with you to the mountain of prayer.
- Reveal your glory and capture my will.
- How good it is to enjoy your presence!
- Father, overshadow me and let me hear your voice.
- Seeing your glory, Lord, I fall on my face.
- Touch me. Tell me to rise. Come, I must walk with you.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will be faithful to daily mental prayer.
+ I will obey the Father and listen to His Son.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Jesus took them up the mountain and was transfigured before them.