Peter’s Revelation (Mt 16:13-20)
O Jesus, You are the Messiah, the son of God.
Picture Jesus with Peter and the apostles.
This text begins with questions about Jesus’ identity. By a revelation from the Father, Peter recognizes that Jesus is the Messiah. Because of this revelation, Jesus changes Simon’s name to Peter (meaning rock), makes him the foundation of his Church, and gives him the Keys of the Kingdom.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus asked the apostles, “Who do people say I am?” They responded, “Some say John the Baptist. Others say Elijah. Others say Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He then asked, “Whom do you say that I am.” Peter said, “You are the Christ, Son of the Living God.”
Jesus exclaimed, “Blessed are you, Simon, son of John, because flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. I say to you, “You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven. Whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus is anxious to reveal his identity. So, he takes the initiative in the questioning.
- The wrong answers come from people without faith.
- Peter experiences a heavenly revelation and expresses a truth far beyond his natural capacity.
- Peter, bonded with the other disciples, shall resist the powers of hell.
- Having been touched by God, Peter can receive greater power – the Keys of the Kingdom.
- This fisherman will be Jesus’ foundation for the whole Church.
- The Kingdom comes to earth and Heaven will bind and loose whatever the Church binds and loosens.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Lord, you ask me, “Who do you say I am?”
- You give me faith, Jesus, and I can respond correctly.
- “You are the Christ,” I exclaim, “Son of the living God.”
- You even reveal your Kingdom to me.
- O Jesus, you give me a task on earth. I will serve others in Your name.
- O Lord, show me all the mysteries of the Kingdom.
- Anointed with your powers, I will touch heaven and earth.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
+ I will be sensitive to God’s revealing Spirit.
+ I will ask God to reveal my new name and my true identity.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
And you, who do you say I am? “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.”