Prayer: O Jesus, send me the Spirit of Truth.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus at the Last Supper with the apostles.)
Context: Jesus promises that the Holy Spirit will abide among his apostles,
but only if they keep his commandments.
The apostles will even know the Spirit who abides with them. Through the Holy Spirit, Jesus will come to the apostles and they will
not be abandoned orphans.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said, “If you love me, keep my commandments and I will ask the Father
and he will give you another Paraclete, who will abide with you forever. He is the Spirit of truth whom the world cannot receive because it neither
sees him nor knows him. You shall know him because he will abide with you and stay in you.
I will not leave your orphans. I will come to you. Yet a little while, and
the world sees me no more. But you see me, because I live and you shall live.”
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus explains these deepest mysteries.
- First, the disciples must love Jesus and keep his commandments.
- If they do this, they will receive another Paraclete (Jesus is the first one).
- Only disciples of Jesus will receive the Holy Spirit, not the world.
- The Spirit will abide permanently, and the disciples will get to know him.
- Jesus Himself will stay with the disciples and not leave them orphans.
- Unlike the world, the disciples will see Jesus and live.
Affections (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, Your gift is complete. In you, I see the Father and through you, I receive the Spirit.
- Help me to love you and to keep your commandments.
- Come, come, Holy Spirit! Abide with me. Stay and remain. I will get to know you.
- O Jesus, with You in my Heart, I will never be an orphan.
- O Jesus, you give me gifts which you withhold from the world.
- I can see you and live in you.
Resolutions (Possibly you might want to make your own).
- I will constantly say “Come Holy Spirit.”
- I will recall that Jesus’ Spirit lives within me.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
The Paraclete will abide with you forever.