O Jesus, restore our oneness in your glory.
Picture Jesus with the apostles at the Last Supper.
Jesus’ prayer is for us, the future believers. Two thousand years later, as the word reaches us, we receive the same glory given by the Father to Jesus, and from Jesus to his Church.
If Jesus’ word forges a unity, the world also, will believe in Jesus.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus looks to the future. He sees the billions of people who will believe through the disciples’ preaching.
- Jesus wants all believers to enjoy the oneness that He enjoys with the Father.
- This unity of believers will be Jesus’ instrument to bring the whole world to faith in Him.
- This oneness comes from Jesus giving all believers a share in His glory.
- By seeing His disciples united, the world (His persecutor) will see that the Father loves the world.
- This is Jesus’ only plan for the world’s salvation.
- His Church must be clothed in his glory and one with each other.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you prayed for me, knowing that I would believe your word.
- Now, you want me to join with other believers.
- You share your glory with all of us.
- You make us one in this glory.
- By our oneness, others will believe in you.
- When the whole world believes, you will come again.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will thank God for my faith.
+ I will seek other believers to share my devout life.