O Jesus, fill my heart with love so I can serve you.
Picture Jesus speaking with Peter on the shore of Galilee.
This text is extremely important. In Matthew’s gospel, Jesus gives Peter the Keys to the Kingdom. In this passage, Jesus also gives Peter authority, using the image of “feeding the sheep.”
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus’ three questions give Peter an opportunity to reverse his three denials.
- For Jesus, Peter’s personal love is important. He had to know where Peter’s heart was.
- Assured of his love, Jesus makes Peter the guiding Shepherd of the Church.
- Jesus speaks of Peter’s first moments, when his task concludes.
- The impetuous Peter won’t choose his path. His young man’s strength will fail.
- He will go where others take him. This requires spiritual maturity.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Lord, you always give me an opportunity.
- I will correct my errors and undo my mistakes.
- Lord, please ask me if I love you.
- Lord, you know where my heart is. Claim it as your own.
- You know everything, O Lord. You know my call. You know my future. You know the moment of my death.
- I will go where you want me to go.
- Your final words touch my heart. “Follow me,” you say.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will hear Jesus’ question in my soul, “Do you love me?”
+ I will follow Jesus until I die.