Prayer: O Jesus, lead me to eternal life.
Imagination: Picture Jesus with his apostles at the Last Supper
Context: After teaching the apostles, Jesus prays to his Father and has them listen in. This prayer has three parts. In this section, Jesus declares that he has glorified God by giving everyone eternal life. He reveals that knowing him and knowing the Father are the same, and bring God’s glory.
Gospel text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus, lifting up his eyes to heaven, said, “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son that your Son may glorify you. You have given him power
over all people, so he may give eternal life to all whom you gave to him.
Now this is eternal life. That they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ,
whom you have sent.
I have glorified you on earth. I have finished the work you have given me to do. Now, glorify me, O Father, with yourself, with the glory that I had with you
before the world began.”
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.
- Although Jesus speaks directly to the Father, he wants the apostles to overhear his prayer.
- The Father and the Son reveal each other’s glory so the disciples can see.
- Having revealed the glory of the Father, Jesus’ work is finished.
- Now, the Father will reveal Jesus’ glory by raising him from the dead.
- After the Resurrection, the disciples will see the glory which Jesus had “from the beginning.”
- By knowing the Father and Jesus, all can gain eternal life.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, this mystery overwhelms me. Both you and the Father want to reveal yourselves to me.
- Complete your work in me, O Jesus. Fully reveal your Father.
- Jesus, the “hour has come.” Let me no longer put off my task of coming to know you.
- Jesus, give me eternal life. The Father gave you this task.
- This is eternal life, to know you, Father, and Jesus whom you have sent.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- “The hour has come”. I must accept Jesus fully.
- I will value Jesus’ eternal glory above all earthly gifts.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son.