Prayer: O Jesus, consecrate me to the Father.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with the apostles at the Last Supper)
In this part of his prayer, Jesus sharpens the distinction between his disciples and the world. In spite of difficulties, Jesus refuses to segregate the disciples from the world. They must stay in the world to preach. Therefore, Jesus prays that they be protected “from the evil one” and sanctified in truth.
Gospel text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for the ones you have given to me, because they are yours and everything of mine is yours and everything of yours is mine. Now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of world, any more than I am of the world.
Sanctify them in truth. Your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I send them into the world. For them do I sanctify myself, so they may be sanctified in truth.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus cannot pray for a world that refuses to believe and become his disciples.
- He can pray for these disciples because they belong to the Father.
- They must stay in the world even though they are the world’s enemies and cannot avoid the world’s hatred.
- The problem is the Evil One. He owns the world.
- Even in this hostile environment, the Father can still sanctify them.
- Having sanctified himself, Jesus now sanctifies them.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, the Father has given me to you. I am yours forever.
- Right now, you pray for me at the right hand of the Father.
- Protect me, Jesus. For now, I must remain in the world.
- Even in the world, you can sanctify me, but I must be careful.
- Keep me from the world. Make me a stranger to the world just as you were.
- Release your Spirit and I will be like you – sanctified in truth.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will see clearly the world’s opposition to my devout life.
- I will strengthen my resolve to be sanctified for the Father.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
I sanctify myself so they might be sanctified in truth.