O Jesus pour out the fullness of your Spirit.
Picture Jesus teaching his disciples.
John the Baptist was a great preacher but he knew only earthly truths. Jesus knows heaven and can speak about what he has seen in heaven. Jesus is not just an earthly Messiah. He “comes from above” and brings heavenly life.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Having come from heaven, Jesus brings all of heaven’s riches.
- Jesus has seen the Father. Having seen, he can testify.
- Jesus’ frustration is that no one believes his testimony.
- If people believed, the Father would pour out the Holy Spirit abundantly upon them.
- Believing in Jesus bestows eternal life.
- Not believing in Jesus closes the door to eternal life. God’s wrath is not removed.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Tell me about heaven, Jesus.
- Bring me all of heaven’s treasures.
- Pour out your fire. Do not ration your Holy Spirit.
- You alone can give me eternal life.
- O Jesus, bring me into the Father’s love. Remove me from his wrath.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will think of the uniqueness of Jesus Christ.
+ I will open my heart today to a complete infilling of the Spirit.