Prayer: O Jesus, help me when the storms of life become too strong.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus approaching the disciples’ boat.)
Multiplying food is a powerful miracle but walking on the sea is even greater. Jesus is much more than a miracle-worker. He is God and has power over the sea.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
When evening came, the disciples went to the sea, intending to embark to Capernaum. It was dark and Jesus was not with them. Moreover, with a strong wind blowing, the sea was becoming rough. When they had rowed three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking upon the sea and approaching their boat. They were afraid. Jesus said to them, “I am. Do not be afraid.” They wanted to take him into the boat, but suddenly it came aground on the shore where they were going.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
1. The disciples make a mistake. They try to cross the sea without Jesus.
2. They think that they can overcome the darkness and the wind.
3. The conditions are too much. They find themselves miles from shore and helpless.
4. Suddenly, Jesus appears and chooses to approach their boat.
5. Why do they grow afraid? Because they do not know who it is.
6. “I am” says Jesus. The Father spoke those same words to Moses.
7. The disciples want to take Jesus into their boat.
8. God works yet another miracle. The boat arrives safely with Jesus at their side.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. Jesus, do not let me face my trials without you.
2. If I use only my own talents, I will always fail.
3. With your power, I will always succeed.
4. O Jesus, how difficult life can be.
5. Come to me, Jesus. The waves are very high.
6. You are “I Am”. You always existed. You created me.
7. Suddenly, I will reach the shore. Life will be over and I will be in heaven.
8. Stay with me, Jesus. It is night.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will never trust my own strength.
2. I will ask Jesus to accompany me.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
They saw Jesus walking on the sea toward them.