O Jesus, help me to grow in faith.
Picture Nicodemus speaking with Jesus.
Nicodemus appears in three different stories in John’s gospel. In this meditation, we will use all three because they show his growth into discipleship.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Fearful about what others might think, Nicodemus comes secretly at night.
- He does not have a full understanding of Jesus. He calls him a “Rabbi” and knows only that he is a teacher who performs some signs.
- This first meeting seemingly has no results. Nicodemus makes no act of faith and does not become a disciple.
- In the second scene, he gains some boldness. He confronts the Pharisees and speaks in Jesus’ defense.
- In the final scene, Nicodemus casts off all his fears and publicly shows that he loves Jesus.
- He is now a disciple and an important help in Jesus’ burial.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I do not know you fully.
- My natural powers cannot comprehend you.
- I am filled with fears, but I desire to come to You.
- Still my heart and reveal yourself.
- Plant your seeds of conversion within me.
- Claim my thoughts and feelings for yourself.
- As your presence grows, I will become bold.
- Some day, I will openly tell the world that I am Your disciple.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will pay attention to God’s inner stirrings.
+ I will grow in discipleship, even if it is hidden from others.