Prayer: O Jesus, I will know you so I can know the Father.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching at the Last Supper
In this text, Jesus describes two different periods of time, before the resurrection (when the disciples do not really know Jesus) and after the resurrection (when they did know him).
Philip’s question allows Jesus to expand upon what he has said.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said, “If you had known me, then you would also have known my Father. From now on, you do know him and you have seen him. Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”
Jesus said, “Have I been with you so long a time and still you do not know me? Philip, he who sees me, sees the Father also. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in me?”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. Jesus expands his glory to the disciples. They will know Jesus and see the Father.
2. Philip grows excited and blurts out the unthinkable request, “Show us the Father” (whom none have ever seen.)
3. Jesus is disappointed. Philip has not yet understood.
4. Philip already experiences the Father by seeing Jesus.
5. This extraordinary blessing comes through Mary who gave Jesus his body.
6. Philip must do just one thing – believe that Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, I know you. You are the Father’s only son.
2. When I speak to you, I speak also to the Father.
3. When I see you, Jesus, I see the Father. When I am close to you, Jesus, I am close to the Father.
4. O Jesus, you and the Father cannot be separated. You are bound together by the Holy Spirit of love.
5. O Jesus, how long will I be with you and still not understand? You and the Father are one.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. I will spend this day in Jesus’ presence.
2. I will thank the Father for sending Jesus.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me.