Prayer: O Jesus, send me to all the nations.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus sending His disciples to teach and to baptize).
This is the final scene of Mark’s gospel. Before ascending into heaven, Jesus commissions the disciples to teach and to baptize. To whomever believes and accepts Baptism, he promises eternal salvation and charismatic powers.
Gospel Text (Read slowly, possible aloud.)
Go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved. Whoever does not believe will be condemned. These signs shall follow those that believe. In my name they will cast out devils. They will speak in new tongues. They shall take up deadly serpents. If they drink any deadly poison, it will not harm them. They shall lay their hands on the sick and they will recover.
Teach them to observe everything I have commanded you. Behold I am with you all days, even to the end of the world.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
1. These are Jesus’ final words before ascending into heaven. They contain clear instructions.
2. The disciples must preach and baptize so that everyone can enter Jesus’ Kingdom.
3. The stakes are high. Those who believe will be saved. Those who do not will be condemned.
4. Jesus promises miraculous signs and wonders to the new believers.
5. To insure the disciples’ success, Jesus himself will remain with them.
Affections. (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
1. O Jesus, send me to the nations.
2. What a privilege! I will preach and lead others to Baptism and to eternal salvation.
3. Jesus, keep me safe and give me your powers.
4. Remain with me. With you, I can do all things.
5. Return, Jesus. Return soon. Then, history will be complete.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
1. Today, I will speak to others about faith in Jesus.
2. I will believe that Jesus’ power will follow my words.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved. Whoever does not believe will be condemned.