Prayer: O Jesus, let me come to you for wisdom.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching Nicodemus)
Nicodemus is a trained Jewish scholar. His questions to Jesus contrast the Jewish faith with the mysteries of Christ. His questions allow Jesus to explain these truths. If Nicodemus cannot understand the mystery of the Holy Spirit, how can he understand the Trinity.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to Nicodemus, “Do not be surprised that I said to you that you must be born again. The spirit breathes where he will and you hear his voice but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone born of the spirit.
Nicodemus asked, “How can this happen?” Jesus said, “Are you a teacher in Israel and you do not know these things?” Amen, amen, I say to you. We speak what we know and we testify to what we have seen but you do not receive our testimony. If I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe when I speak to you about heavenly things?
No one has ascended into heaven except the one who has descended from heaven, the Son of Man who is in heaven. Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up so that whoever believes in him may not perish but may have everlasting life.”
Thoughts:(Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- “Being born from above” is receiving the Holy Spirit in Baptism.
- After Baptism, the Spirit leads the believer wherever he chooses, (like the wind blowing).
- Nicodemus is confused because these Christian truths go far beyond the Jewish faith.
- The early Church easily understands them and gladly explains them to the world.
- Jesus’ heavenly role as Son of Man goes beyond Baptism and the Spirit’s indwelling.
- Jesus even describes his own death which will bestow eternal life.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, help me to be born again.
- Pour out your Holy Spirit.
- I will let your Spirit lead me wherever he wishes.
- You are lifted up on the cross. You died for me.
- You have ascended to heaven so I can ascend with you.
- Without you, I perish. With you, I have everlasting life.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will ask to receive the Holy Spirit today.
- I will think of Jesus in heavenly glory and ask for eternal life.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
We speak what we know and we testify to what we have seen.