Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit. Help me to say “Yes” to God’s plan.
Imagination: (Picture Mary speaking with the Angel).
Luke records the greatest moment in human history, when God becomes flesh in Mary’s womb. This text highlights Mary’s struggle to understand the mystery. Once all is clear, she quickly consents.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin named Mary. The angel said, “Do not fear, Mary. You have found favor with God. You shall conceive and bear a son and give him the name Jesus. Great will be his dignity and he will be called Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of David, his father. He will rule over the house of Jacob forever and his reign will be without end.
Mary said to the angel, “How can this be because I do not know man?” The angel explained, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High shall overshadow you. The child will be called holy, the Son of God. Know that Elizabeth, your relative, has conceived a son in her old age. She who was called barren, is now in her sixth month because nothing is impossible to God.”
Mary said, “Behold the handmaid of the Lord. Let it be done to me according to your word.” At this, the angel left her.
Thoughts:(Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Mary knew that God called her to be a virgin. Now, the angel speaks of her becoming a mother.
- The angel explains how both are true. The Holy Spirit will overshadow her, making her both mother and virgin.
- This message overwhelms Mary.
- Because Mary must accept her privilege, the angel describes God’s miracle in Elizabeth.
- The angel concludes, “Nothing is impossible to God.”
- Mary’s human mind quickly understands that God will do the impossible.
- She surrenders completely, “Let it be done to me according to your word.”
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Father, what is your plan for me?
- O Jesus, I cannot always understand your favors.
- Mary, teach me how to search for answers.
- O Spirit, reveal God’s mysteries in my life.
- O God, nothing is impossible for you.
- Mary, engrave your response on my heart, “Let I be done to me according to your word.”
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- This day, I will surrender to God’s plan.
- I will believe that nothing is impossible for God.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Let it be done to me according to your word.