Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit. Multiply your gifts within me.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus feeding the crowds.)
This multiplication of food is very important and is told in all four gospels. The Early Church loved this miracle because it prefigures Jesus’ gift of Eucharist. Why is this story told in Easter time? The miracle is a manifestation and at Easter
Jesus is manifesting himself.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
When Jesus looked up and saw the vast crowd, he asked Philip,
“Where shall we buy bread for all to eat?”
He said this to try him because he knew what he was going to do.
Philip replied, “Two hundred days’ wages is not enough to feed all these.” Andrew said, “A boy here has five barley loaves and two fishes,
but what is that among so many?”
Jesus said, “Make the people sit down.” He took the loaves, gave thanks,
and distributed them to the disciples. He did the same with the fish. When all had eaten, he told the disciples to gather up the fragments, which filled
Realizing that they would try to make him King, Jesus fled to the mountain alone.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus is concerned about the crowd’s hunger.
- He decides what to do, but he allows the apostles to cooperate.
- Once they bring the loaves and fishes, Jesus can multiply them.
- Jesus looks up to heaven, blesses the food and breaks it. He will do these same actions again at the Last Supper. This miracle is a preview.
- Jesus brings all to completion. The people have their fill and twelve baskets
are gathered up for us.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, I am your sheep, part of your flock.
- O Lord, stay with me.
- O Jesus, you care for all of my needs.
- You bless me to overflowing.
- Every day, you multiply the bread from heaven. Help me to love the Eucharist.
- You are my King.
- Take me to the mountain with you, Jesus.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today, I will thank Jesus for his abundance.
- My heart will seek the Bread of Life.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Seeing the vast crowd, Jesus wanted to feed them.