Prayer: O Jesus, breathe upon me and anoint me with your Spirit.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus appearing to his disciples in the Upper Room.)
This vision occurs on Easter Sunday evening and reveals many truths. By coming through a closed door, Jesus clearly shows that he has a risen, glorified body. Showing his hands and his side proves that he is the crucified Jesus, born of Mary. His final action of bestowing the Spirit is really a Pentecost. Instead of bestowing the gift of tongues, the Spirit gives the greater power of forgiving sins.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
On the first day of the week, when the disciples were gathered in the upper room, the doors were locked for fear of the Jews. Jesus came and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” Then, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
He said to them again, “Peace be to you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” Having said this, he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you shall forgive are forgiven them. Whose sins you shall retain are retained.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- In his mortal life, Jesus never came through locked doors. His glorified body has greater powers.
- Seeing his hands and side, the disciples rejoice immediately. They know who Jesus is.
- Before anything else, Jesus gives the disciples inner stillness, “Peace be with you”.
- Filled with peace, they are ready to receive the Holy Spirit.
- This is Pentecost! Jesus breathes on them and pours out the Holy Spirit of forgiveness.
- This power to forgive will remain in the Church until the end of time.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, how fearful I am.
- Come quickly, Jesus, even though my doors are closed.
- Fill me with your stillness of peace.
- Joy! I experience joy when you come.
- Breathe on me. Send the Spirit into my heart.
- O Jesus, your forgiveness is your greatest gift to me.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will ask Jesus to send me His Spirit.
- I will seek forgiveness in the sacrament.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.