Making New Wine (Jn 2:1-11)
O Mary, my mother, you help me in all my trials.
Picture Mary with Jesus at the wedding feast.
This is an extremely important story because it spells out John’s theme. The hour of the passion, when Jesus sheds his blood, is the world-saving moment. The new wine is a preview of the heavenly feast. Notice that John never uses Mary’s name. She is always “the mother of Jesus.”
Gospel Text: (Shorter than the original version.)
On the third day, there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus, and his disciples, were also invited to the marriage. When the wine failed, his mother said to Jesus, “They have no wine.” Jesus responded, “Woman, what is this to you and me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the waiters, “Do whatever he tells you.”
Jesus said to the waiters, “Fill the jars with water and take them to the waiter in charge.” When the headwater tasted the water made wine, he said to the groom, “People usually serve the choice wine first, but you have kept the choice wine until now.”
Jesus performed this first sign at Cana in Galilee. In this way, he revealed his glory and his disciples believed in him.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- “On the third day,” reminds us of Jesus’ resurrection.
- Mary wants to help the couple. Knowing the Father’s will, Jesus says that it is the wrong time.
- It is not yet “the hour,” the world-saving moment of his death and rising, when all will see his glory.
- At the Annunciation, Mary accepted the Father’s will. Now, she tells the waiters to accept Jesus’ will.
- The miracle happens. It is the best of wines, far beyond the hopes of the surprised bridegroom.
- Having seen his glory, the disciples begin to believe. They will see many more signs in the days ahead.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, wherever you are, there is the joy of the wedding.
- O Mary, you have a solution for every problem.
- Intercede for me, Mary. Jesus always listens to you.
- Jesus, pour out your glory. For this hour, you have come.
- Mary, teach me to do whatever Jesus wants.
- O Jesus, you give us the best of wines, the greatest blessings and delights.
- Jesus, reveal your glory in my life. Do great things in me.
Resolution: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ In every crisis, I will turn to Mary with the greatest confidence.
+ Today, I will do only the will of Jesus.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
Woman, what is this to you and me? My hour has not yet come.