Prayer: O Jesus, come and stay in my house this day.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus finding Zaccheus in a tree.)
Zaccheus is the second wealthy man to receives an invitation from Jesus. He accepts the gift and uses his wealth to restore justice. This story highlights Jesus as the saviour of all, even of rich people and their families.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Upon entering Jericho, Jesus passed through the city. There lived a wealthy man there named Zaccheus, the chief tax collector. He wanted to see Jesus but being small of stature, he could not, because of the crowd. So, he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree which was along Jesus’ route. When Jesus reached that place, he looked up and said, “Zaccheus, come down quickly, for today I must stay in your house.” He came down and received him with joy.
When this was seen, many complained, “He is going to the house of a sinner.” Zaccheus stood his ground and said to the Lord. “I will give half of my belongings to the poor and if I have cheated anyone in the least I will return it four-fold.” Jesus said, “Today, salvation has come to this house, for this is what it means to be a son of Abraham. The Son of Man has come to seek and to save the lost.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- As a tax collector, Zaccheus works for Rome. However, his desires are for Jesus’ Kingdom.
- Zaccheus had only one chance, one moment. Jesus was just “passing by”.
- His small stature helps him. Zaccheus climbs a tree where Jesus easily sees him.
- When Jesus says, “I must stay in your house”, Zaccheus understands the great gift.
- He holds his ground and does not allow the crowd to steal the Kingdom.
- Instead, he repents, “I give half my possessions to the poor and I will repay four times over any money I have extorted.”
- His conversion is lasting. He joined the early church. We know his name and his story.
Affections. (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, today you will come.
- Lord, I am entangled, but I want to be set free.
- O Jesus, when you pass by today I will not miss my chance.
- You will see me and call my name.
- Yes, Jesus, come and stay in my house.
- I will change whatever needs to be changed.
- Jesus, you will rejoice. I am lost and you will save me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will be alert for those moments when Jesus will “pass by today.”
- When Jesus says, “I shall stay in your house”, I will open my heart.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Zaccheus would not allow the crowd to rob him of the Kingdom.