Prayer – O Lord, do not let me lose the Kingdom.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus teaching the crowds.)
This text has two parts. First, people should be able to see that the Kingdom is at hand. Second, the disciple must act now and accept the Kingdom.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said to the crowds, “When you see a cloud rising in the west, you say that rain is coming and so it does. When you see the south wind blow you say that it will be hot and so it is. You, hypocrites, you know how to interpret the portents of earth and sky, why can you not discern this present time?
Tell me, why do you not judge for yourselves what is just. When you go with your opponent to the magistrate, try to settle with him on the way, lest he turn you over to the judge and the judge give you to the jailer and the jailer put you in jail. You will not be released until you have paid the last penny.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus wants the crowds to become his disciples.
- However, they see his miracles but hold back their decision. So Jesus uses an example.
- Jesus talks about the western clouds and the southern winds. Seeing these, people understand that rain or heat is coming.
- So, they are hypocrites. They see Jesus’ miracles but they refuse to see that the Kingdom is coming.
- Jesus uses a more urgent example. Someone on his way to the courtroom knows he is going to jail. What does he do? He settles immediately, before he arrives.
- Jesus is calling the crowds (and you) to a quick and total commitment to be a disciple.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, You want me to be your disciple. I will put this off no longer.
- Your Kingdom is at hand. I will no longer stand outside.
- I see your love for me. I see your hand in my life. How can I not choose you as King?
- How urgent this is, Jesus. Not much time is left. I must get this settled.
- If I act quickly, I will avoid eternal death. I will be saved from the prison of hell.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
- I will not postpone the decision I need to make.
- I will not just be a member of the crowd. I will join Jesus as his disciple.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation.)
Why can you not discern the present time?