Prayer – Lord Jesus, let me use well this time for repentance given to me by the heavenly Father.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus speaking to his disciples and the crowds.)
Jesus mentions three towns of Galilee – Chorazin, Bethsaida and Capernaum. The gospels do not record any ministry of Jesus in the first two towns, but obviously he preached there. They are compared with Tyre and Sidon, two Gentile towns known for their sinfulness. In Capernaum, Jesus had an extended ministry, filled with great miracles. This city was known for its pride because of its lofty stature.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said, “Woe to you Chorazin! Woe to you Bethsaida! For if in Tyre and Sidon had been done the mighty works that were done in you, they would have done penance long ago in sackcloth and ashes. It will go easier on the day of judgment for Tyre and Sidon than for you.
And as for you, Capernaum, are you to be exalted to the heavens? You will be cast down into hell.
He who hears you, hears me. He who rejects you, rejects me. He who rejects me, rejects the one who sent me.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus pulls no punches. His words are like arrows piercing the heart.
- The first two towns did not accept the gospel. They did not repent. They will not share in the Kingdom.
- Israelites despise Gentile Tyre and Sidon, but Chorazin and Bethsaida are even less worthy in God’s sight.
- Capernaum totally misjudges its spiritual state. It prides itself on witnessing Jesus’ miracles but refuses to accept his message and repent. They are headed to hell.
- For all three towns, Jesus is concerned about the Day of Judgment. These people will not be ready.
- To reject the missionary is to reject the gospel, the only door into eternal life.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, pierce my heart with your words.
- I will accept your gospel and be with you forever.
- Lord, you always worry about my Day of Judgment.
- To prepare, I must repent and cast aside what is evil.
- You will exalt me, Jesus. You will take me into your heart. You will do everything for me.
- How important to believe in your gospel and to accept you as Lord!
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will not delay. I will go to confession and be freed from my sins.
- I will humble myself and ask Jesus to exalt me.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
He who hears you, hears me.