Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit, prepare for Jesus’ coming.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus warning His disciples to be alert.)
Strangely enough, we begin the liturgical year with Jesus speaking about how to prepare for the end of the world. He uses Noah as an example. He prepared for the sudden flood, and we, too, will be taken suddenly from our daily situation.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said to his disciples, “The coming of the Son of Man will repeat what happened in Noah’s time. In the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and being married, right up to the day that Noah entered the ark. They were totally unconcerned until the flood came and destroyed them.
So will it be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field. One will be taken and one will be left. Two women will be grinding meal. One will be taken and another left. Stay awake, therefore, you cannot know the day that the Lord is coming.
Be sure of this: if the owner of the house knew when the thief was coming, he would watch and not allow his house to be broken into. You, also, must be ready, because at the hour you do not know, the Son of Man will come.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage are daily activities of normal life.
- Unfortunately, a flood was coming. Noah alone knew how to prepare.
- Noah symbolizes the suddenness of Jesus’ return and the need to watch.
- The person taken is the disciple who enters the Kingdom.
- The person left behind will not get in.
- Since no one knows when the thief comes, the owner must keep watch.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, when will you come for me?
- I must watch for you.
- O Jesus, too much buying and selling, eating and drinking, fill my day.
- I must set them aside.
- Teach me to prepare today for your coming.
- Can I not find time for you?
- Help me, Jesus. I treasure your kingdom.
- Come soon, while I am still watching.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will make time every day for mental prayer.
- I will not be absorbed in buying, selling, eating and drinking.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
You must be ready.