Prayer – Come, Holy Spirit. Make Jesus the king of my heart.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus standing before Pilate)
Pilate has inquired from the Jews about the charges against Jesus. They said that he claims to be King of the Jews. In conducting his investigation he allows Jesus to explain his Kingship and his Kingdom. Pilate represents the whole world and Jesus is a witness to the truth.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Pilate asked Jesus, “Are you the King of the Jews? Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would certainly be fighting that I not be handed over to the Jews. However, my kingdom is not of this world.”
Pilate asked “Are you a king?” Jesus said, “You say that I am a king. For this was I born and for this I came into the world, that I should give testimony to the truth. Whoever belongs to the truth, hears my voice.” Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” and he went out.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Pilate approaches the mystery of Jesus with a worldly mentality. Someone who is a king is important to him.
- Jesus speaks of a kingdom beyond this world.
- Not being an earthly King, Jesus does not expect his disciples to fight for his freedom.
- Pilate does not understand and wants to talk about Jesus being a king.
- Jesus has a higher goal and a greater power. His disciples gather in a Kingdom of truth.
- Not having any interest in truth, Pilate walks away.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, take me beyond my earthly life. Give me your heavenly kingdom.
- Yes, you are a king, a very special king, and I am your disciple.
- Your kingdom always existed and you came into the world for me.
- Your kingdom is greater than earth and your goal is eternal life.
- You live forever and I will live with you.
- Jesus, you are the truth and your truth makes me free.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will choose Jesus as my king.
- I will not serve a passing world.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
My kingdom is not of this world.