Come, Holy Spirit. Fill me with your joy.
Picture Mary entering Zechariah’s house.
This story contains many truths. First, Jesus begins his sanctifying ministry. Second, John begins his ministry, pointing out Jesus to his mother. Third, this is an early picture of Pentecost. All are filled with the Holy Spirit.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus begins immediately to sanctify the world. Mary is his first missionary.
- John the Baptist begins his ministry pointing out the Christ to his mother.
- Pentecost comes early. All are filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Many years later, the apostles will gather with Mary and receive the Spirit at Pentecost.
- By prophetic revelation, Elizabeth knows that Mary is the mother of God.
- These two women hold all of history in their wombs.
- Elizabeth has the Precursor and Mary has the Saviour.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you begin immediately to save the world.
- O Mary, bring Jesus quickly to me.
- Holy Spirit, fill me with joy.
- Mary, invite me into your womb, the new garden of Eden, where Jesus has placed every treasure.
- Mary, help me to believe God’s word.
- O Mary, share with me the Spirit of Pentecost.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ Today, I will use Elizabeth’s words to praise Mary, “Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb.”
+ I will ponder the mystery that God placed all human history in Mary’s womb.