The First Four Beatitudes (Mt 5:1-12)
Come, Holy Spirit. Form my heart according to Jesus’ teaching.
Picture Jesus teaching the crowds.
Jesus calls various groups “blessed.” However, anyone can choose to belong to these groups. A person can be poor in spirit, meek, mourning over the world’s sins, and hungering for justice. So, the door is open to everyone. In all four situations, the person is promised heaven (under different figures of speech).
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Seeing the crowd, Jesus went up the mountain. When he sat down, his disciples came to him and he taught them, saying:
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the land. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice. They shall have their fill.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- When Jesus speaks to the crowds, he invites them into the Kingdom. Here, he speaks to disciples who are already members of his Kingdom.
- Because their hearts are set upon the Kingdom, they can understand Jesus’ teaching.
- A person is “Blessed” by being a member of the Kingdom.
- A person becomes a member by a personal decision to be poor in spirit, to mourn for the Kingdom, to be merciful, and to hunger for justice.
- If they persevere in these dispositions, they will receive the full reward of blessedness, an eternal kingdom.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you invite me into your Kingdom.
- O Lord, I accept your offer.
- Reveal to me the Kingdom’s secrets, so I can embrace them.
- O Jesus, if I persevere in my decision, I will be blessed eternally.
- Right now, I give you my heart, my choices, and all my decisions.
- O Spirit of Jesus, form me. Form me in poverty of spirit, meekness, sorrow for the Kingdom and mercy for all.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will allow these teachings to form my thinking.
+ I will rejoice that Jesus calls me “Blessed.”
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
The disciples came to Jesus and he taught them.