Prayer: O Jesus, strengthen me in the time of trial.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with the apostles at the Last Supper)
Context: Jesus speaks plainly and the disciples think they understand. However, not having experienced the death and resurrection of Jesus, their faith is far too weak. Jesus shatters their self-confidence by predicting that they will desert him. However, Jesus concludes with a promise of victory.
Gospel text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
The disciples said, “Now you are speaking plainly and not with parables. Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to ask you. Because of this, we believe that you came from God.”
Jesus said, “Do you believe? The hour is coming and is already here, when you will be scattered, each to his own home and you will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone. The Father is with me.
I have spoken these things so you may have peace. In the world, you will have distress. Have confidence. I have overcome the world.”
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The apostles think that they believe firmly.
- Their solid faith will come only after Jesus rises.
- Jesus sees that their faith is frail and incomplete, totally unable to withstand his death.
- When the Roman soldiers test their resolve, the disciples will scatter, leaving Jesus alone.
- Their desertion hurts Jesus but His faith lies in the Father, not in the disciples.
- The disciples will remember Jesus’ words and regain their peace.
- Even more important, Jesus will rise and they will share in his victory over the world.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, speak plainly to me and I will understand.
- Strengthen my faith, so I do not desert you in the crisis.
- When my resolve is tested, I will stand with you, Jesus.
- How often Your words console me in my failures!
- Jesus, You chose me, even knowing that I would abandon you and leave you alone.
- O Jesus, I rejoice in your victory, the ultimate victory, the only victory that matters, and my eternal salvation.
- I will live with you forever.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will seek religious experiences so my faith will be strong.
- In my trials, I will ask Jesus to stay with me.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
The hour is coming when you will be scattered.