(Luke 24:47, Acts 1:8-11)
Prayer: O Jesus, take my heart to heaven with you.
Imagination: (Picture the disciples watching Jesus ascend into heaven.)
Luke describes the Ascension in two places – at the end of his gospel and at the beginning of the Acts of the Apostles. Here we use the account in the Acts which gives more details.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus led the disciples out to the Mount of Olives, telling them not to depart from Jerusalem but to await the promise of the Father, “You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and the whole world.”
As they looked on, he was lifted up. They watched until a cloud took him from their sight. While they were still gazing upward, two men in white garments said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking up to heaven. Jesus, who is taken from you, will come just as you saw him going to heaven.”
So, they returned to Jerusalem. They devoted themselves to prayer, together with some women and Mary, the mother of Jesus.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Seeing Jesus ascend into heaven is the final piece of evidence that Jesus is God.
- Soon, the final age of the Spirit will begin.
- The apostles know what to do. They must return to Jerusalem and wait for the Spirit.
- However, they want to remain on this hillside because their hearts are empty.
- The angel has to promise them, “He will return just as you saw him.”
- Obediently, they return to Jerusalem, where the Spirit will fill them with his fire, plunge them into his presence and anoint them with his powers.
- What a journey for the apostles! Three years ago, they met a man named Jesus. Now, they know that He is God and will soon send them the Holy Spirit.
- All these gifts happen in the presence of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you are my Lord and my God.
- You have gone ahead and prepared a place for me.
- Jesus, take my heart to heaven.
- I will obey you so your plans come true.
- Anoint me with your Spirit, and I will be your witness.
- O Lord, you will “return just as you ascended.” I await your coming.
- Mary, draw me close to yourself. The Spirit comes wherever you are present.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Today, I will often say the words, “Come, Holy Spirit.”
- I will take some quiet moments to receive the Spirit.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
They gathered with Mary, the mother of Jesus.