Prayer: O Jesus, fill me with faith in all that you can do.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with the Centurion.)
Since Christianity had spread to the Gentile world, Luke was extremely interested in Gentiles who experienced Jesus’ power. This Gentile centurion is a special person. He believed that Jesus could heal at a distance (unheard of in Judaism). Even Jesus proclaims his extraordinary faith.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him saying, “Lord, my servant is at home in bed paralyzed, suffering painfully. Jesus said, “I will come and heal him. The centurion answered, “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but say but the word and my servant shall be healed.
I also am a man subject to authority, having soldiers under me. I say to this one, ‘Go’ and he goes. To another, ‘Come’ and he comes. To my servant ‘Do this’ and he does it.”
Hearing this, Jesus was amazed and said to the crowd who followed him. “Amen I say to you, I have not found such great faith in Israel.” When they returned home, they found the servant in perfect health.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The centurion has complete and total faith in Jesus’ power to heal.
- Jesus also is aware of his power, proclaiming “I will come and heal him.”
- The extraordinary parts of this story are the centurion’s great humility (I am not worthy) and his faith that Jesus’ powers are not limited by distance (“say but the word”).
- Jesus highlights the centurion’s faith. He has never seen Jewish people with that level of belief.
- The faith is rewarded. The servant is healed.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I have total faith in your powers.
- You want me to come to you and plead for my loved ones.
- You claim all authority in heaven and on earth.
- I believe, Jesus, that you have all the power of the Father.
- Just speak your word, Jesus and all is made new.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Every day, I will bring to Jesus all that needs to be healed – my body, my soul, my relationships, my memories.
- Today, I will live by faith in the power of Jesus.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The centurion knew that Jesus had done this. He and his whole household believed.