Prayer: O Jesus, give me faith in your word.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus at the Last Supper.)
Context: The discourse shifts. Jesus turns the disciples’ attention to his future departure. Realizing that Jesus will leave, the disciples grow sorrowful. So Jesus speaks of the great gift that will follow – the coming of the Holy Spirit.
Gospel Text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said, “These things I have told you so that when the hour comes, you may remember that I told you. I did not tell you these things from the beginning, because I was with you. Now I go to the one who sent me and none of you ask me, “Where are you going?”
Because I have said these things, sorrow fills your heart. However, I tell you the truth. It is expedient for you that I go, because if I do not go, the Paraclete will not come to you. If I go, I will send him to you.”
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Again, Jesus commands the apostles to remember his words. They will need them in difficult moments.
- Being a loving friend, Jesus did not reveal everything. He shielded his disciples like parents hide some sorrows from their children.
- However, he can delay no longer. They must be told. He is leaving them.
- He helps them to see the advantages of his leaving. The Paraclete will come.
- They cannot experience both the mortal Jesus and the Paraclete. One stage of God’s plan (Jesus’ mortal life) must give way to a greater moment (the Paraclete’s abiding presence).
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will always treasure your words.
- Your words are my defense and my shield, my light and my consolation.
- Thank you, Jesus for keeping me from needless suffering.
- Jesus, I know where you have gone – to prepare a place for me.
- Until you return, the Paraclete will provide for me.
- Jesus, you have not left. You are always with me. I experience your presence by your Spirit’s touches.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will commit Jesus’ words to memory, especially those that touch my heart.
- I will invoke the Spirit of Jesus, the Guest who abides in my soul.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
It is better for you that I go. If I do not go, the Paraclete will not come.