Prayer: O Jesus, overcome in me any desire to exclude others.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching John and the other Eleven)
Jesus has just spoken about service within the Christian community. He now teaches about relating to those outside the Community. Jesus rejects a close-mindedness that would result in exclusivity. He wants the community to be open to all.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
John said to Jesus, “Master we saw someone casting out a devil in your name. We tried to stop him because he was not one of us.”
Jesus said, “Do not stop him. For no one can do a miracle in my name, and at the same time speak ill of me. Anyone who is not against us is with us.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus’ power is all over the world. If anyone uses Jesus’ name with the right intention, God will act.
- John is narrow-minded, believing that only members of the inner circle should have these powers.
- He should have rejoiced to see someone invoking Jesus’ power.
- Jesus rejects John’s criterion that “he is not one of us.” A personal love for Jesus suffices to join everyone to the community.
- This exorcist knew that Jesus’ name has power.
- Having used his lips to invoke Jesus’ name, he cannot speak against Jesus.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Lord, let me use your name to seek the blessings of heaven.
- Jesus, I love you. Include me among your disciples.
- Sanctify my lips so my words bless others.
- Jesus, place the whole world in my heart. Help me to embrace all.
- Give me your powers and I will cast out demons in your name.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will use the name of Jesus to cast out the evil I encounter today.
- I will open my heart to everyone of good will.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Anyone who is not against us is with us.