Prayer: O Jesus, I will abide in your word.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching his disciples at the Last Supper).
Context: This text focuses on Jesus’ teaching – which enjoys a surprising power. A disciple who lives this teaching will enjoy the presence of the Father and Jesus. Then, the Paraclete will amplify the teaching.
In the second part, Jesus, concerned about the effect of his going to the Father, promises his peace.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus said, “If anyone loves me and keeps my Word, my Father will love him and we will come to him and make our dwelling in him. Whoever does not love me, does not keep my word.
The word which you have heard is not mine but the Father’s who sent me.
I have spoken these things while I abide with you. The Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and bring all things to your mind, whatever I have told you.
Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give. Let not your heart be troubled or be afraid.
You have heard me say that I go away and I will come back to you. If you loved me, you would be glad because I go to the Father and the Father is greater than I. I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens, you might believe.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The door to friendship with God is loving Jesus and being true to his word.
- If this happens, the Father and Jesus actually come to live within the disciple.
- Jesus’ time of teaching is ending. From now until the end of the world, the Holy Spirit is the teacher.
- The situation is changing. Jesus is returning to the Father. The disciples should rejoice.
- Instead, they grow fearful and need Jesus’ peace.
- Later, they will remember these words and will believe as they see them come true.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you offer me life with your Father.
- Thank you for dwelling in my soul.
- O Holy Spirit, teach me the great mysteries of the Father.
- O Jesus, you have gone to the Father to prepare a place for me.
- I am so fearful. How I need your peace.
- Your words are the light for my path.
- O Jesus, you have provided everything for my salvation.
Resolutions. (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will treasure God’s presence in my soul.
- I will ask Jesus for his peace.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
My Father will love him and we will come to him.