Prayer – O Jesus, calm the storms in my own life.
Imagination: (Picture the fearful disciples and Jesus calming the sea.)
Matthew very much follows Mark’s story when Jesus sleeps in the boat. The miracle causes awe and wonder in the apostles.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Jesus got into a boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a violent storm came up on the lake, and the boat began to be swamped with waves, but he was asleep.
They came and woke him saying, “Lord, save us. We are perishing!” He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” then he got up and rebuked the winds and the sea and there was great calm. The men were amazed and said, “What sort of man is this that even the words and the sea obey him?”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- There were many boats but Jesus travels with his disciples. He wants them to be the primary witnesses of his power.
- The wind and the unruly sea are symbols of demonic chaos which destroys our lives as disciples.
- The disciples have some faith. They wake Jesus up, believing he can save them.
- Jesus expected more faith. His being in their boat, awake or asleep, would have saved them.
- Jesus rebukes the wind and the sea, just as he rebuked Satan who possessed people.
- The apostles understand that only God can tame the wind and sea. If so, “Who is this Jesus?”
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, travel in my boat. You are always welcome.
- Chaos and evil surround me. You are my only safeguard.
- Jesus, when I awaken you, you always help me.
- Give me greater faith. Even when you seem to sleep, I will trust you.
- Waking or sleeping, you always guard me.
- You are Lord. You are God. You are Saviour. You are Redeemer. You are all in all.
Resolutions: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- I will never begin a task without Jesus in my boat.
- I will always believe that his power can do all things.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
Even the wind and the sea obey him.