Prayer: O Holy Spirit, open to my heart the mystery of Jesus Christ.
Imagination – (Picture Jesus with his disciples)
At the synagogue in Nazareth, Jesus proclaimed what he would accomplish for Israel. This gospel reveals even more. Jesus is Israel’s Messiah. At this point, only the disciples can know. The crowds would misinterpret this truth and make him a king. Jesus quickly explains that he will be a suffering Messiah.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
As Jesus was praying in seclusion, his disciples were with him. He asked them, “Whom do people say that I am. They answered, “Some say John the Baptist. Some say Elijah. Others say that one of the prophets has arisen.”
He said, “Whom do you say that I am?” Simon Peter answered, “The Messiah of God”. He strictly commanded them not to tell anyone, saying “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes and be put to death and rise on the third day.”
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The disciples are especially blessed when they join Jesus in prayer.
- The false opinions about Jesus show that the worldly person cannot comprehend the mysteries of God.
- Jesus’ direct question fills Simon Peter with faith and divine revelation.
- Jesus is the Messiah, sent by God to fulfill his divine plan.
- For now, that startling truth must not be preached.
- He will be a surprising Messiah. He will suffer, die, and rise. This is the Father’s plan.
Affections (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, let me join you every day in prayer.
- All your blessings await me as I pray.
- Only faith, not human intelligence, can understand who you are.
- You are my Messiah, bringing all God’s favors.
- The Father has sent you to bless me.
- I will follow you into the great mystery of your death. I will die with you on Calvary, knowing that you will raise me from the dead.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will get to know Jesus Christ from daily mental prayer.
- I will accept the crosses in my life.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
You are the Messiah of God.