Prayer – Lord Jesus, invite me today to be your disciple.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus calling his first disciples along the Sea of Galilee.)
Context This gospel text begins “After John was arrested” and it records Jesus’ first homily of his public ministry. He repeats John’s teaching that the reign of God has come and gathers his four most important helpers.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud).
After John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the Kingdom of God, saying, “This is the time of fulfillment. The Kingdom of God is at hand. Repent and believe the gospel.
Passing by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother, Andrew, casting nets into the sea, for they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, “Come after me and I will make you fishers of men.” Immediately, they left their net and followed him.
Going a little farther, he saw James, the son of Zebedee and his brother, John. They were mending their nets in the ship. He called them, also. They left Zebedee in the ship with his hired men and followed him.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you).
1. Jesus follows his heavenly Father’s timetable. While John is preaching, he remains silent. When John is arrested, Jesus knows to begin.
2. These are the most important years in world history, as Jesus begins to save all mankind.
3. Jesus says that the Kingdom is at hand. God’s power will break into human history.
4. Everyone must be ready. So, Jesus tells everyone to turn away from evil and believe in him.
5. The two sets of brother are the first to hear the message. They respond immediately.
6. Peter and Andrew leave their boats behind. James and John leave their father and friends. These four are perfect models for all believers.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words in prayer).
1. Heavenly Father, what is your timetable for my life? When is the time for me to act?
2. Jesus, I believe. This is the hour, the time of fulfillment. I will not delay.
3. I believe. I accept your Kingdom. I repent. I turn to you and hear your voice.
4. Jesus, you want to come into my heart.
5. I hear your call. I will follow you, forever and ever.
6. O Jesus, You are the gift of the Father. What else compares with your friendship? I will leave everything to be your friend.
Resolutions: (Use one of these or make your own)
1. I will learn God’s timetable. What does he expect today?
2. When Jesus invites me today, I will answer immediately.
Thought: (Recall this text during the day) Come after me and I will make you fishers of men.