Prayer: O Risen Jesus, show yourself to me in the quiet of this prayer.
Imagination: (Picture the holy women meeting Jesus.)
The four gospels have different stories about the Resurrection and the church has not tried to harmonize these accounts, because the diverse stories witness to the reality of the resurrection, the most world-shattering event. These resurrection stories begin with the empty tomb.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
After the Sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalen and the other Mary came to inspect the tomb. Behold there was a great earthquake, as the angel of the Lord descended from heaven. He came, rolled back the stone, and sat upon it. In appearance, he resembled a flash of lightening, while his garments were as white as snow. Out of fear, the guards were struck with terror and became as dead men.
The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid. I know that you seek Jesus, the crucified one. He is not here because he has risen as he said. Come and see the place where the Lord was laid. Then, go quickly and tell the disciples that he is risen and that he will go before you into Galilee. There you shall see him. This is my message to you.”
They left the tomb quickly, with fear and great joy, running to tell the disciples. On their way, Jesus met them and said, “Peace”. They came up, took hold of his feet and adored him. Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers that they are to go to Galilee. There they shall see me.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The women are observant Jews, faithfully keeping the Sabbath rest.
- They are also Christian believers whose hearts lead them to Jesus’ tomb.
- It was dawn, not just for them, but for the whole world. A new day had come.
- What an experience, to see an angel roll back a stone and sit upon it.
- The angel gives them a tour of the tomb. After all, they were going to be witnesses.
- They do not need to see the Risen Jesus but they believe and are filled with joy.
- They become the first evangelists and preach to the disciples.
- Then comes the great favor. Jesus appears and allows them to touch him.
- They know he is God and adore him.
Affections: When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will not wait. I will seek you today.
- You are the dawn. When you come, the night is over.
- O Jesus, you provide all the evidence. I need to believe that you are the Lord.
- I will tell others that you are risen.
- O risen Jesus, come to me whenever I lift my heart to you.
- Do not let me fear. With you, I can overcome all of life’s difficulties.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will ponder today the great gift of Jesus’ rising from the dead.
- I will study my faith and witness to others.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
They fell at his feet and adored him.