O Risen Jesus, show yourself to me in the quiet of this prayer.
Picture the holy women meeting Jesus.
The four gospels have different stories about the Resurrection and the church has not tried to harmonize these accounts, because the diverse stories witness to the reality of the resurrection, the most world-shattering event. These resurrection stories begin with the empty tomb.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The women are observant Jews, faithfully keeping the Sabbath rest.
- They are also Christian believers whose hearts lead them to Jesus’ tomb.
- It was dawn, not just for them, but for the whole world. A new day had come.
- What an experience, to see an angel roll back a stone and sit upon it.
- The angel gives them a tour of the tomb. After all, they were going to be witnesses.
- They do not need to see the Risen Jesus but they believe and are filled with joy.
- They become the first evangelists and preach to the disciples.
- Then comes the great favor. Jesus appears and allows them to touch him.
- They know he is God and adore him.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I will not wait. I will seek you today.
- You are the dawn. When you come, the night is over.
- O Jesus, you provide all the evidence. I need to believe that you are the Lord.
- I will tell others that you are risen.
- O risen Jesus, come to me whenever I lift my heart to you.
- Do not let me fear. With you, I can overcome all of life’s difficulties.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will ponder today the great gift of Jesus’ rising from the dead.
+ I will study my faith and witness to others.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
They fell at his feet and adored him.