Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit. Bring me the light of Christ.
Imagination: (Picture Simeon praising God with Jesus in his arms.)
Mosaic law required that every male child who opened the womb must be offered to God. So, Mary and Joseph go to the temple. Surprisingly, Simeon, a holy man inspired by the Spirit, takes the child and prophesies his greatness as well as his sorrows.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Taking the child in his arms, Simeon prophesied, “Now you can dismiss your servant in peace, O God, for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all the people. A light of revelation for the Gentiles and the glory of your people, Israel.”
His father and mother were filled with awe at what was said. Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother, “This child is set for the fall and the rise of many in Israel. He shall be a sign that is contradicted, and your own soul a sword shall pierce, so the thoughts of many hearts might be revealed.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Holding Jesus in his arms, Simeon’s life is complete.
- He sees Jesus as God’s gift of salvation.
- God’s plan is not hidden. It is “prepared in the sight of all the peoples.”
- Jesus blesses everyone, Jews and Gentiles.
- He is “a sign of contradiction” because many will reject his light.
- Accepting or rejecting Jesus reveals each person’s heart.
- Mary shares in Jesus’ sorrow. She stands at the center of this mystery, and her own heart is pierced.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, I hold you in Holy Communion.
- O God, before I die, fulfill your plan in me.
- O Jesus, You are the light of my world.
- O Jesus, someday my inner heart will be revealed.
- O Mary, you have given me Jesus. What more can I ask?
- O Mary, I will live with you in the shadow of the cross. My heart will also be pierced.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- Only the light of Christ will guide my day.
- I will increase my devotion to Mary.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
This child shall be a sign that is contradicted and your own heart, a sword shall pierce.