Prayer: Jesus, let your Kingdom claim my heart.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus standing before Pilate)
John’s gospel presents a lengthy dialogue in which Jesus preaches
to Pilate and offers him a chance to make a different decision.
Pilate can even be a member of the Kingdom instead of an instrument
used by the Jewish leaders. Unfortunately, he does not accept Jesus
as King and turns his back on him.
Gospel text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Pilate asked Jesus, “Are you the King of the Jews?” Jesus responded, “Do you say this by yourself, or have others told you?” Pilate answered, “Am I a Jew? Your own nation and your chief priests
have handed you over to me. What have you done?”
Jesus said, “My Kingdom is not of this world. If my Kingdom were of this world,
my servants would certainly fight
so I would not be handed over. But my Kingdom is not here.”
Pilate said, “Then you are a King.” Jesus responded, “You say that I am a King.
For this was I born. For this I came into the world.
That I should testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth,
hears my voice.” Pilate said, “What is truth.” Then he went out to the Jews and said,
“I find no guilt in him.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- Jesus speaks the truth. His Kingdom is not of this world.
- He is a unique king and those who belong to his kingdom recognize his voice.
- Jesus spends time with Pilate and explains everything.
- However, Pilate has no interest in truth and does not receive the Kingdom.
- Pilate, however, cannot deny his own feelings.
- He says honestly, “I find no guilt in him.”
- What a hero Pilate would have been if he had acted on this belief.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, You are my King. May you reign forever.
- Your Kingdom is in my heart. There, I hear your word.
- You call me to truth. You invite me into your light.
- Jesus, I will come quickly out of my darkness.
- To know you, to love you, and to serve you. For this I was born. For this I came into the world.
- I will proclaim to the whole world, “Jesus is my King.”
Resolutions: Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will commit my life to living the truth.
- I will choose the right King – Jesus the Lord.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
For this I was born. For this, I came into the world. To witness to the truth.