Prayer: Jesus, I will be your disciple and follow you everywhere.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with his three new disciples.)
John’s gospel gives some details about the call of the first apostles. Andrew, and another, were originally disciples of John the Baptist, who told them about Jesus. Andrew brings Simon to Jesus who immediately calls him Peter.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The next day, John was with two of his disciples, when he saw Jesus walking by. He said to these disciples, “Look, there is the Lamb of God.” When they heard what he said, the two disciples followed Jesus. When Jesus turned and saw them following him, he said, “What are you looking for?” They said “Rabbi (Teacher) where are you staying?” He said, “Come and see.” So, they went and stayed with him. It was four in the afternoon.
One of the two who followed Jesus was Andrew, brother of Simon Peter. The first thing he did was to find Simon and say, “We have found the Messiah” (meaning the “AnointedOne”). He brought him to Jesus. When Jesus saw him, he said, “You are Simon, son of John, your name shall be Cephas (meaning “Peter’).
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder those that attract you.)
- The Baptist wants these special disciples to find the Messiah.
- He is completely unselfish. He wants them to leave and follow Jesus.
- They act immediately. They take the initiative. They also want to find the Messiah.
- Andrew prizes this new relationship and wants his brother, Simon, to be included.
- Simon also responds and comes to Jesus.
- Jesus gives him a new name, Peter, foreshadowing his role as the rock foundation of the Church.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you are the Lamb of God and I want to follow you.
- Invite me to come.
- I will come and stay with you and be your disciple.
- I love being your disciple. I will tell others to come to you.
- You will accept them, also. All of us will enjoy this great privilege.
- You have a task for me (but that will come later). For now, remaining with you is all you ask.
Resolution:(Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will take every opportunity to seek and find Jesus.
- After finding him, I will tell others.
Thought: (Recall this text during the day)
Rabbi, where do you abide? “Come and see.”