Jesus’ Warnings (Lk 12: 1-7)
O Lord, you care for the sparrows. You will care also for me.
(Picture Jesus teaching the dense crowds.)
This text has 2 parts. Having denounced the Pharisees to their face, Jesus is surrounded by crowds. However, he speaks to his disciples. He calls the Pharisee teaching, hypocrisy, and speaks of the Final Judgment when all will be revealed.
Then, he prophesies that his friends will be threatened and even killed. They are not to fear.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
The great crowds around Jesus were so dense that they tread on one another. He said to say to his disciples, “Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees which is hypocrisy. Nothing is hidden which will not be revealed. Nothing secret which will not become known.
Whatever you speak in darkness, shall be said in the light. What you have whispered in back rooms will be proclaimed on the rooftops.
I say to you my friends. ‘Do not be afraid of those that kill the body and can do no more. Fear him who, after he has killed, has the power to cast into Gehenna. Yes, fear him.
Are not five sparrows sold for a few pennies? Yet, not one of them is neglected by God. Fear nothing then. You are worth more than a flock of sparrows.’
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Although surrounded by these dense crowds, Jesus instructs his disciples because they are so important.
- He points out a false road. They must not follow the Pharisees’ teaching.
- This teaching is superficial, and cannot prepare for the Kingdom.
- Then, Jesus turns to a more serious topic. His friends will face death.
- The person who kills the body need not be feared. The person who endangers their soul must be feared.
- God loves even the sparrows who are sold for sacrifice. He does not abandon them in death.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you take time with me. You teach me. I am important to you.
- Let me see what is true, what endures, what is worth sacrificing for.
- Point out the false roads. Save me from fruitless efforts.
- Never let me take the wrong paths.
- I am your friend, Jesus. You have won my heart. I give you my life.
- Remove any fear of death. Be with me so I persevere.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own)
+ During the day, I will renew my consecration to Jesus Christ.
+ I will not let any threats make me deny what I believe.
Thought For The Day: (To recall your meditation)
Fear nothing. You are worth more than a flock of sparrows.