O Jesus, do not let me stay in darkness.
Picture Jesus teaching in the Temple.
Jesus is about to leave the temple to go into hiding. His public teaching ministry is over. These verses in John’s gospel are a summary of his main themes, an overview of all that Jesus has taught.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- These verses provide an excellent review of the Jesus’ teachings.
- To believe in Jesus is to believe in the Father.
- Jesus is the light of the world.
- He alone can lead us out of darkness.
- Therefore, when we hear Jesus’ words, we must take them to heart.
- If we do this, Jesus will not judge us.
- His words will give us everlasting life.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, your teaching is clear, easy to grasp.
- O Jesus, I will walk only in your light.
- You call me out of darkness.
- You unite me to the Father.
- You give me eternal life.
- O Jesus, I embrace your words. They lead me to eternal, abundant life.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will reflect on the great gift. Jesus unites me with the Father.
+ I will accept my responsibility to keep Jesus’ word.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
The Father who sent me told me what to say.