Sheep in the Father’s Hands (Jn 10:22-30)
O Jesus, I will hear your voice and follow you to eternal life.
Picture Jesus teaching in the Temple.
Even this image of shepherd gets drawn into controversy. Not being Jesus’ sheep, the hearers do not believe that Jesus can give everlasting life to those who follow him. Jesus explains that he holds every person in his hands, just as His Father does.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
The Jews said to Jesus, “How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered, “I told you and you did not believe. The works I do in the Father’s name, testify to me. But you do not believe, because you are not of my sheep.
My sheep hear my voice. I know them and they follow me. I give them everlasting life and they shall never perish. No one can pluck them out of my hand. My Father has given them to me and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The Jews ask a question which seemingly deserves a plain answer.
- However, the question comes because they refuse to believe Jesus’ testimony.
- More words, even plainer words, will not help them.
- They need to make a decision. They must accept Jesus.
- Because the true sheep desire to live forever, they easily understand.
- Jesus holds these sheep and no one snatches them away.
- Jesus reveals his identity. He is one with the Father.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you have already given me enough words. Now, I must believe.
- I will give you my heart. Then, I will fully understand your words.
- Awaken in me immense desires for eternal life.
- Jesus, I will share your relationship with the Father.
- Speak loudly in my soul, Jesus. Silence all other voices.
- Where else would I rather be than in your hands?
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will listen today for Jesus’ voice.
+ I will stay in Jesus’ hands. I am safe there.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation.)
The Father has given these sheep to me and no one will snatch them from my hands.