Prayer: O Jesus, do not let me stay in darkness.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching in the Temple)
Context: Jesus is about to leave the temple to go into hiding.
His public teaching ministry is over. These verses in John’s gospel are
a summary of his main themes, an overview of all that Jesus has taught.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me, does not just believe in me,
but also in the one who sent me.
I have come into the world as light so whoever believes in me does not stay in darkness.
If any man hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him because
I have not come to judge the world. Whoever despises my words is
judged by the word I have spoken. I did not speak on my own but the Father,
who sent me, told me what to say
and I know that his commandment is eternal life.
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- These verses provide an excellent review of the Jesus’ teachings.
- To believe in Jesus is to believe in the Father.
- Jesus is the light of the world.
- He alone can lead us out of darkness.
- Therefore, when we hear Jesus’ words, we must take them to heart.
- If we do this, Jesus will not judge us.
- His words will give us everlasting life.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, your teaching is clear, easy to grasp.
- O Jesus, I will walk only in your light.
- You call me out of darkness.
- You unite me to the Father.
- You give me eternal life.
- O Jesus, I embrace your words. They lead me to eternal, abundant life.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will reflect on the great gift. Jesus unites me with the Father.
- I will accept my responsibility to keep Jesus’ word.
Thought for the Day: (To recall your meditation)
The Father who sent me told me what to say.