Prayer: Jesus, I will follow your example.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus with his apostles at the Last Supper.)
After washing the apostles’ feet, Jesus makes clear what that action meant. He has served the Apostles and they must serve others. Even here, the betrayal
by Judas claims Jesus’ attention. He predicts the betrayal so the apostles are
not scandalized by that action.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Amen, amen I say to you. The servant is not greater than the master. Nor is the apostle greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, then you will be blessed if you put them into practice.
I do not speak to all of you. I know whom I have chosen. My purpose is to fulfill the scripture, “The one who eats bread with me,
shall lift up his heel against me.” I tell you this now, before it happens, so that when it does happen, you may believe that I am.
Amen, amen I say to you, “Whoever receives the one whom I send, receives me. Whoever receives me, receives the one who sent me.”
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Jesus renounced all of his privileges to serve mankind.
- He expects his disciples to do the same.
- If the disciple imitates Jesus, the gospel message will be clear.
- We are blessed only by imitating Jesus.
- Jesus worrying about Judas’ betrayal will affect the others. Jesus predicts the event to soften the blow.
- Jesus describes the greatness of a disciple. Whoever receives them, receives Jesus and the Father.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, my greatest dignity is to serve with you.
- O Jesus, I will think like you, speak like you, act like you.
- O Jesus, with all my faults, you have chosen me.
- You worry about me. You are concerned. You ease my every sorrow.
- Send me. Wherever I go as your apostle, you will go with me.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will imitate Jesus’ spirit of service.
- I will recall moments when Jesus softened my hardships.
Thought for the day: (To recall your meditation)
Blessed are you if you put these things into practice.