Prayer: O Jesus, you will be my good Shepherd.
Imagination: (Picture Jesus teaching in the Temple.)
At night, many shepherds would bring their sheep into the city and place
them in a large building. In the morning, the owner (a gatekeeper)
would allow the true shepherds
to enter the building. Because the sheep would be mingled, each shepherd had to call out. Knowing his voice, his sheep would come forward. Then, the shepherd could
lead them out to pasture.
Gospel text (Read slowly, possibly aloud)
Jesus said, Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever does not enter the sheepfold by the door,
but climbs in another way, is a thief and a robber.
Whoever enters by a door is the shepherd of the sheep.
The gatekeeper opens for him. The sheep hear his voice.
He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
Then, he goes before them. The sheep follow him because they know his voice.
A stranger they do not follow. They flee from him because they do not know a stranger’s voice. Although Jesus used this example, they did not understand him.
Thoughts (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- The Father is the gatekeeper. He gives Jesus full access to the sheep.
- Others are kept away because they will steal the sheep.
- A shepherd trains his sheep to recognize his voice.
- Their safety depends upon their recognizing their shepherd’s voice.
- When called by another voice, the sheep flee. He is not their shepherd.
- Those listening to Jesus cannot understand this easy example because their
hearts are set against him.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- O Jesus, you alone are my shepherd.
- Train me to know your voice and to recognize your words.
- Call me, Jesus, and I will follow.
- Lead me out of a sinful life and into the daylight of goodness.
- O Jesus, when I followed false shepherds, they stole my heavenly treasure.
- I want only your voice, your words, your path, and your will.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
- I will listen today for the voice of the Shepherd.
- I will follow wherever he leads me.
Thought for the Day (To recall your meditation)
He calls the sheep by name and leads them out. They follow because they know his voice.