O Jesus, I seek only to be your friend.
Picture Jesus teaching at the Last Supper.
After showering his own love upon the disciples, Jesus asks that they love one another. Before asking for this love, he has made them his friends and has chosen them for an important task.
Gospel Text: (Read slowly, possibly aloud.)
Thoughts: (Read all. Ponder the ones that attract you.)
- Loving others as you love yourself is no longer enough. Jesus gives a new commandment.
- You must love others as Jesus loves you.
- In his total love, Jesus is willing to lay down his life.
- Jesus has raised you to a new level. You are no longer his servant. You are his friend.
- You are his friend simply because he chose you.
- Because you are his friend, he reveals all his mysteries.
- You have one task – to fulfill God’s purpose in your life.
Affections: (When one touches your heart, use your own words.)
- Jesus, you loved me before I loved you.
- Help me to love others even before they love me.
- O Jesus, “I will lay down my life for you.” (Jn 13:37)
- What a gift – to be your friend!
- Reveal all your secrets to me, Jesus. I will be attentive and listen closely.
- O Jesus, you have a task for me. Speak, Lord, I am listening.
Resolutions: (Possibly you might want to make your own.)
+ I will value my new status of being a friend of Jesus.
+ Being Jesus’ friend, I will seek to know what he wants of me.